Pages

Search This Blog

16 March, 2016

LIVING WITH LESS, THOUGHTS ON CONSUMERISM

Living With Less

When I was a student and had no money I was obsessed with brands I couldn't afford and had 3 credit card bills rung up with debt! Safe to say I'm a bit more savvy with with my money these days and with that mentality I've been drawn more and more to the idea of living with less. Not because I think consumerism is 'bad' or 'wrong' but living with less for me means less stress, debt and wasted energy. I want to try and bring more joy in my life without material things. 

The start of the year had been a big turning point for me. I noticed it's been about 3 months since I've brought any new clothes, which is crazy! I've never been a big shopper, I have my moments on ASOS but not having a shopping splurge is kinda weird I must admit! I never planned to have a spending ban or anything, strangely I don't miss that buzz from buying new things.

 “Wanting less is a better blessing than having more.” 
 - Mary Ellen Edmunds

The biggest benefit of spending less has been being in control of myself and my money. Knowing I don't have that need to spend it frivolously has been rewarding. I have plenty of nice things that I don't appreciate enough! Being in control of my spending habits and not be controlled by consumerism hasn't been such a challenge as I thought. Of course I love shopping as much as the next girl but just rethinking about material things has made me personally more happier.  

Being surrounded by the latest fashion and beauty trends can be overwhelming, you can easily get sucked into always wanting more but never having enough. Do you guys ever get that feeling? I still love to express my love for fashion and beauty through my blog and YouTube channel but appreciating what I already have has made a big difference.  

I used to think my life would be 'perfect' if I had this or that item, but it can become a vicious cycle of trying to keep up all the time. Lusting after people's possession didn't make me feel good inside. I've learnt to appreciate what I have and just do my own thing!

Something I've been exploring is minimalism. I know minimalism is everywhere at the moment - minimalist design, lifestyle and mindset but I'm on board for that simpler way of life. I want my home and life to be less cluttered - mentally and physically. My intention is to feel lighter, happier and in a way free-er. There's no right or wrong way to spend your money, these are just my thoughts :) I'm looking forward to focusing my attention and energy on my future and wedding videography business, that will enable me to do the things I want, such as travel and try new experiences with my friends and family. 

What do you think of the idea of living with less? I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on this too!


What are your thoughts on minimalism?


Follow Hanhabelle

You might also enjoy

A LONDON LIFESTYLE BLOG BY HANH

A LONDON LIFESTYLE BLOG BY HANH
Sharing content to inspire you to live a beautiful life inside and out.

Social


hanhabelle@gmail.com

Follow